January 24, 2007

First Day of Classes.

I remember when this trolley-car seemed the wave of the future. Fools!

All these cabinets are full of typefaces. Yes. Little lead letters. And the teacher is prepared to show us how to use them.
Today:
  1. English 100W- 9:00-10:15
  2. History 1B- 12:00-13:15
  3. Art 175- 15:30-18:20
1. I am trying to add this class. 100W is the writing proficiency class that SJSU uses to ensure that all of their graduates can, in theory, express themselves in the written word. I've taken 5 English classes at the college level, (and got above a B in all,) but even though they all transfer, I need to waste units in this class. Do you know what word this brings to mind, kids?

2. History 1B is taught by a Professor who used to teach at Stanford. I feel a little for her in that the classroom is tiny and has absolutely no room for any more chairs, and a lot of the students seemed to be zoning out. I also think that it's a small point of amusement when the entire class is told to switch their phones to silent, and one still goes off in the resident sorority's Hello Kitty purse.

3. This class is the reason I show up to school. Art 175 is listed as "Special Topics" but is actually- *drum roll* Book Arts. I am going to build books in this class- whether as sketchbooks or as incredible portfolio pieces. I can't wait to get started.
Unfortunately I do have to somehow come up with the supplies, at least the ones I don't already own. Bookcloth, Board, Bone Folder, and Awl. Next week will be a little akward since I can't afford supplies before getting paid. In the meantime I have all the paper and thread I will
ever need.
I may do a little instructional entry sometime to show the binding process. The resulting books we were shown as examples made me completely giddy.

I have cheered myself out of being completely exhausted. I think I'll do laundry, hurrah.

No comments: