January 25, 2007

Deep, Deep Pockets.

This is called a levigator. Though that sounds like a Star Trek ship name, it's really just a 25lb piece of Iron with a revolving handle.

You spin the levigator after putting gritty metal sand on the limestone with some water, and it slides unbelievably easy. This helps to remove the former image on the stone, along with a thickness of stone about the thickness of a playing card. A lot of people find it really hard to do this evenly.
Care must be taken not to let the slurry stuff dry- because it becomes concrete, or near enough.


After rinsing, it is dried quickly. The feeling of the surface is almost identical to chalkboard. It is also hilariously grease-sensitive. If a fingerprint gets on the surface as it's being prepared, it can set into the drawing.


Classes Today:
  1. Intermediate Life Drawing: 8:00-10:50
  2. Figure Painting: 12:00-14:50
  3. Life Drawing: 15:00-18:20

1. Intermediate Life Drawing: This is definitely a class I can add. Of a roster of 24 people, only about 16 showed up. To the credit of the absent students, it is eight in the morning. I know a couple people in the class rather well. Unfortunately, at this hour of the morning, if Chiarito chooses to show us slides and turn out the lights, I'm going to need a big cup of tea. The structure of the class seems rather loose- almost as though he'd rather pat us on the back than give a grade.

2. I was happy to see that there weren't many students in this class. I prefer painting without having to step over other people. However, she did warn that we needed to have Intermediate Painting before her class. D'oh! I'm pretty sure I'll be fine unless she chooses to go by-the-book.
A bit disappointed that there seems to be one of those ladies who must share every thought with the class. That's usually my job.

3. Back in Lucy Sargent's class again. She's a ton of fun and I'm really going to want to talk to her a lot. Must censor myself so I'm not being a complete kiss-ass. My friend Andreas is in the class with me as open university. It costs about $600 per 3 units. I have to somehow find a 14x17 sketchbook by next Tuesday.

And in case you're wondering what the information on Litho Stone Grinding at top has to do with anything- the answer is not much. I simply had two hours between classes, since each class only required about an hour of talking.

Well, this is my weekend. I'll likely not post on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, ever. I'm sleeping.

No comments: